Regarding garage doors, the unsung heroes that enable smooth and effortless operation are the torsion springs. These sturdy coiled springs, strategically installed above the door, provide the necessary force to lift and lower the door. In this blog post, we will delve into the mechanics of torsion springs and their significance and shed light on the professional services offered by our team at Garage Door Pros of Southern Utah.
Understanding Torsion Springs: Torsion springs work on the principle of torsion, which is the twisting of an object due to an applied torque. In the case of garage doors, one or two torsion springs are typically installed on a metal shaft above the door opening. These springs are tightly wound, storing potential energy through torque.
Functioning in Harmony: When you activate your garage door opener or manually lift the door, cables attached to the bottom of the door pull on the drum or pulley at the ends of the torsion spring shaft. As the cables unwind from the drum, they create tension in the torsion springs. This tension stores potential energy, which is gradually released to counteract the force of gravity, making it easier to open the door. Conversely, when closing the door, the tension in the springs increases again, storing energy that aids in lowering the door smoothly.
Benefits of Torsion Springs:
- Controlled and Balanced Movement: The torsion spring system ensures a smooth and controlled garage door operation. It counterbalances the door’s weight, reducing strain on the door opener and other components. This promotes the longevity and reliability of the entire system.
- Positional Flexibility: Unlike other springs, torsion springs allow the door to stay in place at any point along its travel path. This eliminates the risk of free-falling or suddenly slamming shut, ensuring safety for people and property.
- Enhanced Durability: Torsion springs are designed to withstand heavy usage and maintain performance over time. They are typically made of high-quality materials, such as hardened steel, which enables them to endure the demanding nature of garage door operations.
Introducing Garage Door Pros of Southern Utah: Regarding garage door services in Southern Utah, Garage Door Pros is a leading name. With our expertise in torsion springs and comprehensive range of services, we have established ourselves as a trusted regional provider.
How long does a spring last?
Springs for residential doors typically have a life span of around 10,000 cycles (1 cycle = 1 opening/closing). Depending on how often you use your door, this means, on average, 6 to 7 years.
What can cause a spring to break?
Occasionally, there is a manufacturing defect, especially seen in the first two years, but wear and tear can cause a spring to break normally. In addition, if your garage is very humid, it may cause rust to form on the springs, reducing their lifespan. In this case, we can provide you with galvanized springs that are well-suited for this condition. Lastly, freezing temperatures, under -40°F / -20°C, may cause some springs to break when we most need our cars.
It must be remembered that your spring system is calibrated based on the total weight of the door, on average 150 lb. / 68 kg for a single door, and more if we are talking about a door in solid wood.
Can we foresee that spring will break?
Not really… It’s like a lightbulb that stops working with no warning.
I have a door opener, so it’s not serious if my spring breaks.
A door opener only does what you would do manually. Your garage door must always be well-balanced by the spring system. A well-balanced door weighs about 8 to 10 lb. / 3.5 to 4.5 kg and can be lifted with only one hand.
If your door seems to weigh more than that, you’ve identified a major problem. Your spring system is likely out of balance. Call us without delay [435-525-2773].
Don’t forget that if your door opener can lift to 250 lb. / 110 kg, it can also push this same weight down, putting you at significant risk.
Can I extend the life of my springs?
Yes, by correctly lubricating them. Call us or book online to schedule a service call today [435-525-2773].
Is it possible for me to change a spring by myself?
We don’t recommend it because, as explained in the previous points, the entire door weight is transferred onto the spring system and the anchor plate that holds it. This is under extreme tension (lower hinge – lifting cable – drum – spring). If you notice that a spring is broken and you have a door opener, you can temporarily open the door with the door opener to get a car out. However, contact us as soon as possible to correct this situation. Place the door off-limits immediately so that no one can use it.
We provide prompt repair services because we inventory all the necessary replacement parts. Moreover, we guarantee that our work and the parts will be changed for three years. We will also take advantage of our visit to adjust other components that may be in need. If we see that other parts require changing, we will contact you before doing any work and give you an idea of the replacement cost.
Services Offered by Garage Door Pros:
- Torsion Spring Installation and Repair: Garage Door Pros of Southern Utah specializes in installing and repairing torsion springs. Our skilled technicians ensure proper adjustment and alignment to optimize the performance and longevity of the springs.
- Garage Door Maintenance: Regular maintenance is vital for garage doors’ smooth operation and longevity. Garage Door Pros offers comprehensive maintenance services, including lubrication, inspection, and adjustment of torsion springs, to keep your garage door in optimal condition.
- Emergency Repairs: Garage Door Pros understands that garage door issues can arise anytime. Our prompt and reliable emergency repair services ensure that your garage door torsion springs are swiftly fixed to restore functionality and security.
Torsion springs are the backbone of garage door systems, providing the force and balance necessary for effortless operation. The benefits they offer, such as controlled movement, positional flexibility, and enhanced durability, make them an essential component of any garage door. Regarding professional services related to torsion springs in Southern Utah, Garage Door Pros stands out with our expertise, reliability, and commitment to customer satisfaction. Trust us to handle your garage door needs with precision and care. Call 435-525-2773 or Book Online.